Friday, October 06, 2006

A Lover Not So All Alone After All.

One of my best friends is a guy. I love him like family and when he hurts, I hurt.

A few days ago he was talking about how much it sucks to really wish he had a girlfriend but that it never seems to work out. He was feeling really alone and like there was something wrong with him because he felt like he was the only guy in the world that was not going out with someone. It makes him feel sad and left out.

I downloaded the "A Thousand Different Ways" CD from iTunes yesterday because that's the only way to get the bonus song, "Lover All Alone", too and I burned it and gave it to him as a gift. I thought he could relate to it. I didn't tell him that there was a song on there for him, I just asked him to review the CD for me and to tell me what he thought about it.

This guy is 22, so he's in that group that listens to Indie rock and only goes to concerts with less than a hundred people in attendance at rented warehouses and big old houses where the band will play for the party at a 5 dollar cover charge. These bands sell their CDs at the parties and would never consider signing with a label or go mainstream. Yea I know, not exactly a Clay fan and NOT into THAT kind of music. Right.

I put Lover All Alone last on the CD I burned for him because I wanted him to hear the other songs before he got to it. He foiled my plan. The bugger ripped the CD, put it on his MP3 player and set it to shuffle. I was pissed when I heard that he did that but, whatever. So he listened to the playlist on shuffle and guess which song came up first? Yup, Lover All Alone. He told me he was listening to it and was really impressed with the song and Clay's voice when the words started to get to him. He put it on repeat for a long time and cried and cried. He said it was his new favorite song and that when he was done crying he realized that he wasn't alone, that people all over the world were feeling like they would never find love and that most people do eventually fall in love with someone who loves them back, but that he isn't a freak, he's normal. He loves the song and he plays it because it's so beautiful but mostly because it makes him feel not alone.

He says that Clay has really gotten a bad deal from the critics and the rumors and that he will listen to the rest of the CD when he gets tired of having Lover All Alone on repeat.

His favorite video game is Grand Theft Auto. You can program the car stereos in the game to play the songs you want and he put Lover All Alone in there so that it's playing while he drives like a madman away from the cops. I think he's nuts but I love him.

Someone made a video of the song and put it on Youtube. Enjoy!



Technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:24 AM

    It really doesn't surprise me. This song... what is there to say about it except that it is raw and hauntingly beautiful. IMO, this mix is too long to get radio play, but I think it bodes well for the future. This song could be remixed for radio attention spans (approx 3 1/2 minutes.) But I also think we are all seeing the brilliant future of a man that can not only sing like no one else, but can write those songs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:57 AM

    This is one of the most beautiful,sadly beautiful, songs I have ever heard.
    Poignant,and yes haunting.
    A real work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:15 AM

    That song was the best song on the entire album. I don't understand why it's not on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:15 AM

    The song grabs your soul. It's so magnificent. I rate it an A+

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:00 AM

    Chexxy, I love the new pictures on the side. How did you add them to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Hello from PA Chexxy. I absolutely love your blog girl. You write the best blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:02 AM

    We don't know whats to happen. Hopefully the powers that be are taking notes and CA will have a video and get Lover All Alone out
    there for mass consumption. Well I can hope anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Chexxy:

    Your blog entitled, "Frootz, Nutz, Trolls and Enablers" is so on the mark that it should be sent out to RCA's shareholders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:38 AM

    Chexxxy,
    Great blog. I have a theory about why LAA isn't on the CD. I think it was written too late to make the final track list. The song is so good that it had to be included some way, so the iTunes download was used. This song never showed up on any track list, and just appeared when the CD was released.

    Of course, I could be full of crap, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:16 AM

    Your friend sounds like a sweetheart. I'm glad those words touched him and helped him realize he is NOT alone with his longings for love. I hope he finds someone very special who make the wait seem worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness I am late to the game here. I need to listen to Lover All Alone. I haven't yet *blush*. Better hop to it! Being busy ain't an excuse right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Does anyone know how I can get the song offline?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have to buy the album from iTunes to get the bonus song. I hope people aren't passing around an mp3. That would be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:59 AM

    I'm not even a Clay Aiken fan but have just started yesterday to really pay attention to his music. I liked "Invisible" but I pretty much ignored him until this album. The "lover all alone" is incredibly beautiful, is very haunting and made me cry. They are insane for leaving it off the album. Maybe someone will get smart and re-release it with the song intact.

    ReplyDelete